His Excellency Hugo Ignacio Llanos
Republic of Chile
Place and date of birth: Santiago, Chile, 4 October 1961
Marital status: Married to Mrs. Paulina Echeverría, three children
Languages: Spanish, English and French
- 1985 Graduate in Law, summa cum laude, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile. Graduated at the top of his class and was awarded the Tocornal and the Montenegro prizes
- 1986 Attorney, Supreme Court of Justice
- 1988 Graduate, Diplomatic Academy of Chile
- 1996 Visiting Researcher, Harvard Law School
- 1996 PhD in International Law, Graduate Institute of International Studies, University of Geneva
- 2000 Participant, Summer Programme, Public International Law, Hague Academy of International Law
- Sep 2020-present Ambassador of Chile to New Zealand
- 2018-Aug 2020 Ambassador of Chile in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- 2015-2017 Director of Multilateral Policy, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- 2014-2015 Political Coordinator of Chile in the United Nations Security Council
- 2013-2015 Permanent Mission of Chile to the United Nations
- 2012-2013 Deputy Permanent Representative of Chile to the International Maritime Organization
- 2010-2013 Embassy of Chile in the United Kingdom
- 2009 Head, United Nations Department, Directorate of Multilateral Policy
- 2003-2008 Permanent Mission of Chile to the United Nations
- 2003 Head, Security Council Unit, Directorate of Multilateral Policy
- 2002 Deputy Head, United Nations Department, Directorate of Multilateral
- 1999-2002 Embassy of Chile in the Netherlands
- 1997-1999 Permanent Mission of Chile to the United Nations
- 1996 Visiting Researcher, Harvard Law School
- 1995-1996 Officer, National Directorate of Frontiers and Limits (on secondment)
- 1990-1995 Permanent Mission of Chile to the International Organizations in Geneva
- 1989 Officer Directorate of Special Policy
- 1987-1988| Student Diplomatic Academy of Chile
- Member, Association of Career Diplomats, ADICA
- Member, Chilean Bar Association
- Member, Hispanic-Luso-American Institute of International Law (IHLADI) and member of its Steering Committee for the term 2018-2022
- Presentation The obligation to notify a pandemic, in the light of the International Law Commission ́s Draft Articles on the Protection of Persons in the Event of Disasters (in Spanish), teleconference, Hispanic-Luso-American Institute of International Law, IHLADI, 24 September 2020.
- Presentation Internally Displaced Persons as a Vulnerable Group without a Special Protection regime (in Spanish), Congress of the Hispanic-Luso-American Institute of International Law, IHLADI, Sevilla, Spain, 22 June 2018.
- Panelist at State violence and the Responsibility to Protect: the role of the international community (in English), London School of Economics, London, 15 November 2011 at http://www2.lse.ac.uk/humanRights/events/2011/r2p.aspx
- Panelist at The Death Penalty - A Global Trend Towards Abolition? (in English), Chatham House, London, 6 October 2010 at http://www.chathamhouse.org/events/view/156773
- Presentation Chilean Priorities in the Field of Human Rights (in English), International Service for Human Rights, New York, 3 October 2008.
- Panelist at Just and Favorable: Decent Work as a Human Right in the Age of Globalization (in English), organized by the High Commissioner for Human Rights, New York Office, United Nations Headquarters, 28 February 2008.
- Lecture Human Rights: Recent Developments in the United Nations: a delegate’s perspective (in English), sponsored by the Lilly Program at Denison University, Granville, Ohio, 7 December 2006.
- Presentation at the Seventh Annual World Family Policy Forum Family and Development: Building on Doha (in English), Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, 10-12 July 2006.
- Panelist at Latin American Perspectives of the United Nations (in English), A Town Hall discussion, Arizona State University, Phoenix, Arizona, 18 November 2005.
- Presentation The Chilean participation in the Security Council (in Spanish), War Academy of the Army, Santiago, Chile, 8 July 2003.
- Presentation The Contribution of the Southeastern Pacific to the Law of Maritime Delimitation, First Colloquium of the Latin American Society of International Law and International Organization “The Latin American Contribution to International Law: Past, Present and Future”, Geneva, 6-8 July 2000.
- Internally Displaced Persons as a Vulnerable Group without a Special Protection regime (in Spanish), Hispanic-Luso-American Yearbook of International Law (AHLADI), Volume 24, Madrid, Spain, 2019, pp. 283-291 at http://ihladi.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/16.-Comunicaci%C3%B3n-Los-desplazados-forzosos-como-grupo-vulnerable-sin-estatutos-de-protecci%C3%B3n-privilegiada-Hugo-Ignacio-Llanos-Mardones.pdf
- The death penalty in International Law: current state of the discussion (in Spanish), in: Studies in Honor of Professor Hugo Llanos Mansilla, Editorial Legal Publishing Thomson Reuters, Volume I, Santiago, Chile, 2012, pp. 461-476.
- The Responsibility to Protect: the role of the international community (in Spanish), in Revista Tribuna Internacional, Facultad de Derecho, Universidad de Chile, Vol. 1 No 2 (2012), pp. 129-139.
- Low-Tide Elevations: Reassessing Their Impact on Maritime Delimitation (in English), in Pace International Law Review, Vol. XIV, No. II, Fall 2002.
- The participation of third parties in the work of the United Nations Security Council (in Spanish), in Diplomacia, No. 75, Santiago, Chile, April-June 1998.
- The dispute settlement mechanism in the new World Trade Organization (in Spanish), in Diplomacia, No. 66, Santiago, Chile, December 1994.
- Legal issues arising from reservations made to human rights treaties (in Spanish), in Diplomacia, No. 64, Santiago, Chile, June 1994.
- Co-editor of Studies in Honor of Professor Hugo Llanos Mansilla (in Spanish), Editorial Legal Publishing Thomson Reuters, 2 volumes, 1.178 pages, Santiago, Chile, 2012.
- The Law of Maritime Delimitation in the Southeastern Pacific Region (in Spanish), Red Internacional del Libro, Santiago, Chile, January 2000, 223 pages.